SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
VOLUME 6 , ISSUE 2 ( April-June, 2020 ) > List of Articles
Kaladi Anjinappa Suhasini, Shashikala Manjunatha, Basavaraju Santosh, Channaveeradevaru Chandrakala
Keywords : Diabetes mellitus, Diabetic foot disease, Foot care
Citation Information : Suhasini KA, Manjunatha S, Santosh B, Chandrakala C. Awareness of Diabetic Foot Disease and Practice of Foot Care among Patients with Diabetes Mellitus in Tertiary Healthcare Centers. J Med Sci 2020; 6 (2):36-39.
License: CC BY-NC 4.0
Published Online: 01-06-2020
Copyright Statement: Copyright © 2020; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
Introduction: The prevalence of diabetic foot in diabetes mellitus (DM) patients has increased enormously. Diabetic foot disease (DFD) is one of the debilitating complications caused by DM and is the leading cause of non-traumatic lower limb amputation. The majority of diabetic patients are not properly educated about foot disease and foot care. In this study, we tried to assess the awareness about foot-related problems among patients with DM visiting tertiary healthcare centers. We also assessed the practice of foot care among patients with diabetes. Materials and methods: This cross-sectional study was carried out in patients with DM attending tertiary healthcare centers after Ethical committee approval. The study was conducted in outpatient departments of endocrinology at tertiary care hospitals, in Bengaluru, using a predefined questionnaire. The results were analyzed using appropriate statistical methods. Results: One hundred and twenty-three patients with DM were recruited and given the questionnaire. The mean age of patients was 52.57 ± 12.45 years and the mean duration of diabetes was 11.7 ± 8.63 years. There were 40 male patients (32.5%) and 83 female patients (67.5%). Ninety people were from the urban (73.17%) and the remaining 33 people were from the rural area (26.83%). Out of 123, only 102 patients (82.5%) were aware that diabetes causes foot problems. Though most of them (72.5%) knew that uncontrolled diabetes can cause wound/ulcer, and 33% were aware that uncontrolled diabetes can lead to gangrene. Only 15% of patients were aware that DFD can lead to lower limb amputation. Forty-six patients (37.5%) were aware that smoking increases the incidence of DFD and 58 (47.5%) know that previous foot disease can increase the risk of foot problems in the future. Forty-three patients (35%) were aware that the presence of foot problems increases the risk of heart disease in diabetic patients. Eighty-six subjects (70%) were aware that there is specially customized footwear available for diabetic patients. One hundred and ten subjects (89.4%) were aware that good glycemic control from the beginning helps prevent diabetes-related foot problems. Only 49 subjects (39.8%) were taking care of their feet, of which only 18 patients examined and took care of the feet daily. About 120 people in the study used footwear outdoor (97.5%) and only 23 people (18.6%) used footwear both outside and inside the house. Three people in the study did not use footwear even outside the house. Conclusion: It is vital to educate the patients about foot disease and foot care as a part of diabetes management. By improving awareness, we can decrease the occurrences of foot disease, improve the quality of life, and promote the overall health of a diabetic individual.
© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.